Inspiring People: Sheryl Sandberg

My friend Ashlee was the president of the Women’s Law Society at Southwestern Law School.  We often talk about our post grad plans.  At some point, our conversations always wander towards the topic of balance.  We talk about what it means to “balance personal success and personal fulfillment.” We’ve both been blessed to have women further along in their careers to guide us.  They present to us the realities of being a woman lawyer.  There are so many issues that face woman attorneys from the male-centric culture to the difficulties of balancing work and a family.  I really appreciate any advice thrown my way.

The New Yorker did a profile on Facebook’s Chief Operating Officer, Sheryl Sandberg.  Although she is not an attorney, she does present insight into pursuing a successful career in a male-dominated culture.  You can read the article here.

She also gave an inspiring commencement speech at Barnard. In her speech she talks about how in seeking balance for responsibilities we don’t yet have, women tend to lean back from their careers instead of pressing into them.  She makes many interesting observations from her 20 years in the workforce.  You can watch it here.

My favorite portions:

“Women became 50% of the college graduates in this country in 1981, 30 years ago.  Thirty years is plenty of time for those graduates to have gotten to the top of their industries, but we are nowhere close to 50% of the jobs at the top.  That means that when the big
decisions are made, the decisions that affect all of our worlds, we do not have an equal voice at that table.

So today, we turn to you.  You are the promise for a more equal world.  You are our hope.  I truly believe that only when we get real equality in our governments, in our businesses, in our companies and our universities, will we start to solve this generation’s central moral problem, which is gender equality.  We need women at all levels, including the top, to change the dynamic, reshape the conversation, to make sure women’s voices are heard and heeded, not overlooked and ignored.

“The first thing is I encourage you to think big.  Studies show very clearly that in our country, in the college-educated part of the population, men are more ambitious than women.  They’re more ambitious the day they graduate from college; they remain more ambitious every step along their career path.  We will never close the achievement gap until we close the ambition gap.”

“Men make far fewer compromises than women to balance professional success and personal fulfillment.”

Southwestern’s Women’s Law Logo

Update: After publishing this post, I realized that Sheryl Sandberg has an uncanny resemblance to the woman in the logo.

(Southwestern Women’s Law Association owns the rights to the logo image. It may not be reproduced or transmitted without approval from the Southwestern Women’s Law Association)

About Yen

Hello! I am a third year law student. This summer I am interning at International Bridges to Justice, a legal non-profit in Geneva. In the Fall, I will be interning for Judge Pocar at the ICTY in The Hague.

41 Responses to Inspiring People: Sheryl Sandberg

1. Daftar Harga September 30, 2014 at 8:29 pm #

Wow, that so nice….
    this article is good, makes me so inspired too… thanks for share…

salam

2. Harga Laptop Terbaru June 22, 2015 at 11:20 pm #

Great Post! Thanks, I get very inspired thanks to your article.

3. www.halamanproduk.com November 1, 2015 at 5:00 pm #

Really nice article, thank you.
    Jual Produk Berkualitas

4. produk November 3, 2015 at 8:21 am #

Obat Kuat Herbal Pria Perkasa

5. obat penggugur kandungan December 31, 2015 at 8:50 am #

This article is very useful and add knowledge to the readers

6. Laptop February 8, 2016 at 1:24 pm #

This article is so good, thank you for all that has been given particular to me and generally to all.

7. 1000 dollars now February 15, 2016 at 3:03 pm #

Great blog article about this topic,I have been lately in your blog once or twice now.I just wanted to say hi and show my thanks for the information provided.

8. bangun rumah April 22, 2016 at 2:45 am #

thanks for sharing good article Loved every part of it

9. letz June 19, 2016 at 1:58 am #

Download Lagu Kpop Terbaru
    Blog Kpop

10. ApkPlay August 30, 2016 at 7:10 pm #

nice
    Apk Play Store

11. desi September 6, 2016 at 6:05 am #

already smart , pretty well , really inspiring female figures

12. sri wahyuni September 6, 2016 at 6:06 am #

outstanding female figures like these that we must hold dear

13. kegantengan September 6, 2016 at 6:07 am #

I really like the female figures like this, I love you

14. budy November 6, 2016 at 10:20 am #

download mp3 gratis di bankmusic

15. budy November 6, 2016 at 2:43 pm #

download lagu korea gratis bankmusic.wapka.me
    dan juga
    mymp3.nextwapblog.com

16. desain rumah minimalis November 12, 2016 at 9:54 am #

a nice post. I was greatly helped by your writing, this is what I was looking for this. and I admit that a lot of the writing on this blog is very useful. keep sharing the information. grosir baju
    resep masakan
    rumah minimalis
    pasang iklan gratis

17. cara menurunkan berat badan November 23, 2016 at 2:26 am #

thank for sharing. but that’s who very beautiful

18. MP3BARU December 6, 2016 at 6:59 pm #

Lagu Mp3 Terbaru

19. Stafaband Mp3 Download January 2, 2017 at 7:32 am #

Nice post

20. how to lose weight January 6, 2017 at 2:32 am #

nice info

21. Stafaband Mp3 January 7, 2017 at 6:54 am #

DermagaMusik
    Softlagu

22. McKinney January 18, 2017 at 2:43 pm #

Nice song
    mp3songlagu

23. خرید کریو ارزان March 28, 2017 at 5:54 pm #

Hello! I am a third year law student. This summer I am interning at International Bridges to Justice, a legal non-profit in Geneva. In the Fall, I will be interning for Judge Pocar at the ICTY in The Hague.From the Greek pyloros meaning gatekeeper.He understood that the positions shapes sizes and connections between the bodys organs muscles tubes THE RISE OF SCIENTIFIC MEDICINE ducts and other parts gave clues to what they did

24. kimtan April 6, 2017 at 1:51 am #

DramaFans.Net – Situs Download Video Terbaru dan Juga ShareDrama.Net Situs Download Video Drama Asia, OST Drama Korea, Blogging, Drakor.Info.

25. خرید vpn April 10, 2017 at 4:53 pm #

tnx dear admin for this page

26. Pijat Panggilan Jakarta | Anis Massage Spa 24 Jam https://about.me/pijatpanggilan24jamjakarta